Project benefiting from GJC clicking funding 2002
Santa Clara University Course

In 2002, the reached the target of 500,000 clicks, a number that looked huge in the days when it was just an idea, a dream with the aim of contributing to projects in poor areas of the world, while trying to involve everybody in it ("everybody can be a donor, everybody can be a member of a global e-inclusion movement"). Thanks to our first sponsors the Development Gateway and Unisys and to all of you who donated your clicks, we have reached the first target and proved the concept of "clicking" as a mechanism to contribute goodwill and resource to projects in poor areas of the world. The achievement is all the more valuable if we consider that the operated with only the part-time dedication of one person supported by the Digital Youth Consortium (organization preceding the Fondazione Mondo Digitale).


Our single most important commitment is to support projects from poor areas of the world with complete transparency regarding the funding raised through the clicking mechanism. This brief report gives a detailed account of the destination and impact of the money you helped raise.


Clicking Money Leveraged Further Resources for Grassroot Projects
The funding given by our first sponsors in exchange for their presence in the amounted to Euro 25,000. Our commitment was to give at least 85% of this amount to projects from poor areas of the world (leaving 15% to help cover the costs of running the site). This translated into Euro 21,250 available for projects. The projects that benefited from this funding were selected from the finalists of the Global Junior Challenge 2002 the international competition of projects on ICT and education and training. A total of 7 projects were selected: 3 from India, 2 from Africa, 1 from Costa Rica and 1 from Philippines (see Table 1).








We were fortunate in that the Euro 21,250 enabled us to leverage further generous contributions that resulted in a much larger award than it would have been allowed by the clicking money alone. Thus, leaders of all seven projects were awarded a two-week course on entrepreneurship, especially designed for them, by the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation of Santa Clara California. This course was packed with activity (i.e., lectures, visits to Silicon Valley, group work, business plan development, etc.) aimed at reinforcing the development of the business models and processes of the projects. All expenses of travel and stay in Santa Clara were part of the award and here we benefited from contributions from InfoDev and the Glocal Forum. In addition, Santa Clara University collected and gave to each of the projects' leaders either a desktop or laptop computer with their software. For testimonials from some of the leaders who attended Santa Clara, please go to:


Detailed Account of Total Cost of Award and Use of Clicking Money
Table 2 provides details of the total cost of the awards to the seven projects, the funding sources and the place of the clicking money inside it. The cost of Santa Clara University’s contribution in kind is estimated at Euro 50,000, including the value of the course, lecturers who participated without compensation, donated computer hardware, and a variety of costs such as internal transport, food, etc., that were donated by people who helped make the Santa Clara coursed a success. This shows that the total cost of the award package given to the seven selected projects amounts to almost Euro 80,000. The second column in Table 2 details the actual costs per item, while the third column details the sources of funding that covered the total costs. The total contribution from clicking money amounted to Euro 6,899.58






Since the total amount of clicking money available for projects was Euro21,250, this leaves Euro 14,350 to be used for the next GJC award in 2004. The key result of the experience is that we were able to leverage resources and prizes of much larger value than the clicking money alone would have allowed us. Of course, we were fortunate to be able to count on the donation of Santa Clara University that deserves a huge credit for their generous contribution.